Unknown Precip and Breezy
28°FUnknown Precip and BreezyFull Forecast

Skink saved in Maple Park fire

Published: Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013 5:30 a.m. CST

MAPLE PARK – No one was injured when a chimney fire caused damage to a Maple Park home Tuesday evening.

The Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District was dispatched at 7:32 p.m. to a fire at 46W571 Route 38. According to a news release, a fire had spread to the outside of the chimney and into the structure of the home by the time firefighters arrived.

The occupants had exited the home, and firefighters helped rescue the homeowners’ pets, according to the release.

Lt. Greg Algrim with the Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District, said two adults were home at the time of the fire. He said firefighters rescued a lizard called a skink.

The fire was extinguished within a half hour. Algrim said the fire was contained mostly to the fireplace area and near a stairwell. Elburn was assisted by the Batavia, Big Rock, Burlington, Geneva, Maple Park, St. Charles and Sugar Grove fire departments.

The fire is still under investigation, and the estimated property loss is still being determined, according to the release.

Get breaking and town-specific news sent to your phone. Sign up for text alerts from the Daily Chronicle.

Watch Now

Player embeded on all DDC instances for analytics purposes.

Post Game Press Conference: Boca Raton Bowl

More videos »

Reader Poll

How long do you think gas will cost less than $2?
Another week
Another month
Until summer
All year long